Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Art of Wasting Time

I fail at getting my shit together on Thursdays. I blame this day's close proximity to Friday. So please enjoy this diary entry I wrote two years ago! At the time I was working on both Renaissance Lab and another project. I'm contractually prohibited from yammering on the internet about that project, so I will always refer to it as simply "the contracted project."


I am a bad girlfriend. I was supposed to be working all day so that I could go to New Jersey tonight and go to the beach tomorrow. I did not do that. Instead, here's what I did:

Wake up

Watch half of Object of My Affection

Surf the internet

Talk to the Danterbury Tales on the phone about the possiblity of going to the beach and say that I am about to eat breakfast and start working

Play online for another hour

Realize I have low blood sugar and need to eat since it is already 1:00 PM

Bring dishes to the kitchen to wash so I can use them to make breakfast

Spill old coffee grounds on the floor

Get broom to sweep up coffee grounds

Realize the kitchen floor is disgusting

Sweep the entire kitchen floor

Wash coffee pot and other dishes

Realize I am out of the good coffee beans and contemplate if I will make bad coffee/get sick if I use expired coffee beans

Figure this is okay and start making breakfast

Blow a fuse by having the toaster, coffee maker, and air conditioner plugged in at once

Fix fuse

Continue making breakfast

Take an extremely long time eating breakfast while finishing Object of My Affection (the coffee tastes fine, furthering my suspicion that coffee beans don't really expire and that the coffee companies just want me to buy more coffee beans than I really need)

Read through everything I've written of Renaissance Lab and make a few nit-picky changes while failing to actually write anything new

Read a few Hyperbole and a Half posts

Read through what I've already done on the contracted project in preparation of doing work

Read more Hyperbole and a Half posts

Write three sentences of the contracted project

Write pointless journal entry about being a bad girlfriend, further proving the original point

Read through journal entry several times, feeling a delusional sort of pride in my ability to waste time

4 comments:

  1. "Take an extremely long time eating breakfast while finishing Object of My Affection. ... Read through everything I've written of Renaissance Lab and make a few nit-picky changes while failing to actually write anything new."

    Wow! This is exactly what I did this morning on the train to work! Except substitute "listening to Lewis CK" for "finishing 'Object of My Affection'", and "staring out the window at the 280-kph-scenery" for "eating breakfast".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't truly wasted time until you've done it at 280 kilometers per hour. Well done.

      Delete
  2. I likely wouldn't have even made it to read through my work... I waste time with great skill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, there are plenty of days when I don't even make it that far.

      Delete