Sunday, June 24, 2012

Short Post and a Song #8: Rain can be such a dick.


Okay, rain. I get it. I decided that, for no better reason than getting home to my air conditioner, you didn't scare me enough to postpone leaving the coffee shop. So you turned into a fucking MONSOON for the entirety of my fifteen-minute walk and cleared up as soon as I reached my doorstep. 

So you win, rain—you are a bigger badass than I will ever be. I still don't think you need to be such a dick about it, though.


~*~*~*~*~


"Road to Nowhere" by the Talking Heads





This song never fails to put me in a good mood. That's partly because it is on the soundtrack of the 1989 film Little Monsters. I watched that movie roughly one hundred times in my childhood, because: 


1) Monsters are awesome.

2) I was one of those charming children who wanted watch my favorite movies over, and over, and over, and over.  

3) I was hopelessly in love with Fred Savage. 


I mean, really. Who wouldn't be?


I was sure one day Fred Savage would realize that I was far more interesting than Winnie on The Wonder Years, and we would run away together. We would go hang out with a bunch of monsters, Ben Stein, and the guy who played Fred's grandfather in The Princess Bride, and it would be glorious.

I still think I was right about Winnie. Not that I was such a spectacularly fascinating child, but Winnie had about as much personality as a soapy washcloth. 

We could've had something so special, Fred. You really missed out.

7 comments:

  1. I remember that film! In fact, I'm pretty sure I watched it several times, and it may still be buried in the back of my mind, churning out story ideas from time to time. I kind of want to watch it now... I still rewatch beloved movies over and over and over again. Always kids movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I still rewatch kids movies a lot too--particularly Hayao Miyazaki movies.

      Delete
    2. I love his films! I keep trying to expand my collection. It just seems everything of his is lovely.

      Delete
  2. i think you and i are somehow the same person

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote that. I don't remember doing it, but if you and I are the same person... Huh.

      Delete
  3. Jonathan Taylor Thomas was my 90's love. Still is...where the hell did he disappear to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved him too! Particularly for the fact that he did Baby Simba's voice in The Lion King. The last time I saw JTT was when he randomly played an FBI agent on Veronica Mars.

      Delete