Sunday, March 3, 2013

Short Post and a Song #43: Have you ever not wanted to punch a camera-talker in the face? I'll try to keep an open mind.


I can't think of a single instance in which an actor talking directly to the camera in a movie or show has been a good idea. I'm not talking about mockumentaries like The Office or Parks and Recreation; I'm talking about when we are right in the middle of a scene and an actor starts chatting to the camera like it's his buddy or confidante. It always just distracts me from what's going on in the plot and makes me think, "Stop talking to the camera, you douche."


~*~*~*~*~


"San Solomon" by Balmorhea





Balmorhea is a fantastic band to listen to while writing. You notice the music enough for it to be inspiring, but not enough for it to be distracting. The beautiful piano, guitar, and strings fade into a soothing background. There's something so bittersweet about this particular tune—it's somehow both hopeful and melancholy.

No comments:

Post a Comment