Sunday, August 20, 2017

Short Post and a Song #127: right in the brain face


me: got a lot of work to do, better get a large coffee today

brain: you know coffee will only increase your anxiety and actually make it harder for you focus on work

me: *slaps brain right in the brain face* shut up idiot



~*~*~*~*~

"Hey" by The Pixies




I first became familiar with The Pixies the same way I get into a lot of bands: I heard one of their songs in a movie I loved. The movie in question was Fight Club, and the song was the wonderful "Where is My Mind?".

Much as I adore that song, this one was the first Pixies song that really shifted me into full "Holy shit this band is amazing" mode. "Hey" manages to sound bluesy, rocky, and punky all at once. And everything going on guitar and bass-wise from 1:15-2:05 is so great it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

This song is also good for writing deeply emotional scenes. I've used it more for pretty passionately unhappy scenes, but it could also work well for a cathartic kissing scene (as it does in this scene from "How I Met Your Mother"). That kind of versatility is just one more reason "Hey" is one of my very favorite songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment