Sunday, April 2, 2017

Short Post and a Song #109: Now THAT'S metal.


Today I saw a metal-looking dude wearing a leather jacket and a bandana, and he was walking a dog who was wearing a tiny leather jacket and a tiny bandana.



~*~*~*~*~

"October" by Broken Bells




I've still been plugging away at my Renaissance Experiment series these days. While I wait for some last bits of feedback on the first book from my readers, I've been been going back over my outlines for the other two books in the series to work out any kinks. I wrote those outlines in 2011 and the series has gone through quite a few changes since then, so I need to make sure some of the newer twists and turns fit into the original framework.

I've also been working on the second book in the series. I wrote the first eight chapters from 2011 to 2012, and have barely looked at them since. I read through all the old chapters, subtracted a fuckload of unnecessary exposition, and now I'm doing some of the first new writing I've done on this series in five years. 

And it's so weird. It's kind of like finding an old shirt in your closet that you haven't worn in years and being shocked to find it still fits. You're so happy to have this awesome shirt back in your life, but can't help feeling strange about the fact that the you who wore this shirt five years ago and the you wearing it now are such different people.

I've been relying on music more than ever to get into my protagonist's head, and "October" (along with "In the Backseat" by Arcade Fire) has long served as her theme song.

No comments:

Post a Comment